Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Here We Go Again

I’m taking Crispin to task. This time for the god awful low ego admissions ad, which is horribly misguided and annoying. As a Volkswagen owner I assure you that this is not why I bought the car. I was looking at SUV’s and then drove the Passat and loved it. And besides by making this commercial isn't VW saying, "hey we're a bunch of smug wannabe's."

I guess I’m just tired of this, what your car says about you, cliché. It’s been so overplayed, and I would think as manipulators of pop culture, Crispin would know this and not go there. But they did.

Crispin stands for all that’s good about advertising. They do funny spots, they’re fresh, and original. So it’s annoying that a place with such a wealth of advertising ability is going this route. It’s even more disappointing after those excellent car crash ads that just ran a few weeks ago. Those were good.

I think Crispin needs to lower their ego emissions, and start doing ads that matter again. Oh, and stop ripping off my headlines.

5 Comments:

Blogger Todd Norem said...

I think these ads are saying just the opposite. "Lowest ego emissions" would seem to say that the Passat says very little about you. In fact, the car is pretty much invisible in that ad. The guy gets out of his car and doesn't even see them.

I like it. It's not as good as the crash ads, but it sure beats the gti stuff.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with todd (geez, i think that's the first time i've ever said that outloud in my life). The car says nothing about you. You just drive it. And even though they're definitely not as good as the crash ads, they're definitely better than any other car advertising out there.

10:45 AM  
Blogger laughjon said...

These are the worst ads I've seen for VW in a while. Even if this car says very little about you, it still says something. They should be holding the megaphone saying, "I bought this car cause I want people to think I have a low ego, but in reality I have a very large ego, so large in fact I bought this car to deflect some the attention away from my ego."

11:57 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

FWIW rusty really likes these ads. he also likes the "smug emissions" south park episode. and big trucks.

also, the gti ads hit where they needed to. i liked them, i identified. but we can all have a big hug fest and agree that the crash ones are best.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I actually LOVED the low ego emissions ads, and I found your site bec. I was trying to find a clip of the commercial to show someone. And yes, I agree with Todd. The commercial is saying that the Passat is UNpretentious and unassuming... I thought it was witty and ingenious personally. LOL I was surprised to see someone that hated it.

And Ian, phew... those crash ads are crazy. They ALWAYS shock me, even though I KNOW the crash is coming.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home