Thursday, April 27, 2006

Why Are There No Funny Woman Stand Up Comedians?

I'm a big fan of stand up comedy. Jim Gaffigan, Seinfeld, Cosby, George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, Frank Caliendo, Steve Martin, Jack Benny, Dave Chappelle, David Cross, Bob Newhart, and Rita Rudner are some of my favorite stand-ups. Wait a second. One of these names isn't fitting in with the others. Rita how'd you get in there? This isn't an exercise in trying to make woman feel less superior to men. Woman are far more superior to men in most areas. But let's not get into this debate.

Plain and simple, I've never heard a female stand up I like. I've never heard a funny one, and I've never enjoyed their jokes. Stand ups, that's it too. There's been ton of successful female comic actors. I loved that show, and soon to be a movie 'Strangers with Candy.' The TV show Seinfeld had some female writers too. Even SNL has had it's fair share of hilarious female cast members. But when you look at just stand up comedy the list is sort and disappointing.

I rattled off 12 comics or so. And I can say with confidence that there isn't a single female comic who comes close to being as funny as any of these guys. You'd think just by the randomness of the world there'd be one female comic you could lump into this group. There isn't. Whoopi Goldberg may be the closest. But I mean she's so irrelevant now it doesn't matter.

Why are there no good female stand-ups? It boggles my mind. Hopefully there's some aspiring female comic out there right now working her act and soon she'll be the king. But I doubt it. If there's one place where a man is better then a woman it's in stand-up.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lose Jon. The correct answer was Brett Favre.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Paula Pondstone and Mrs Doubtfire are pretty funny. NOT!

I haven't seen it yet, but some of the reviews for Sarah Silverman's movie have been good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422528/

Of course she's no Pryor.

11:49 AM  
Blogger laughjon said...

Ian I gotta be honest, I went and looked. Didn't matter, I was surprised when I saw your prediction. In fact I was surprised you even challenged my vast intellect. Try to predict what was going on in my head. Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated that Sarah Silverman movie. She's hot though. If she wasn't I don't think we'd know who she was.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home