Monday, April 17, 2006

The Airline Industry Can Go F*ck Itself

Greetings. Just returned from Palm Springs. A lovely place. Unfortunately, like most people, I needed to fly a commercial airline out there. And like most people I flew coach. And like most people I absolutely detest, to the point of pure rage, air travel. It's the one thing that pretty much everyone does, and pretty much everyone that does it, hates it. We're at the point where the airlines have simply stopped trying. Sure they hide behind their smiles and 'have a good day', but you know deep down inside the airline business hates you. Your eyes are dollar signs and that's all they care about.

I'm tall (six feet five inches) so the airplane is probably the most uncomfortable position I put myself in voluntarily. When I was a teenager a family friend turned me onto the emergency row (also known as a blessing from god for tall people). Sure the seats still suck, but you get an extra 5 inches of leg room. A god send for those three plus hour jaunts. Well guess what Northwest Airlines decided to do. They decided to call the 'emergency row' premium seating. Now you get to sit there, but you have to pay an extra $15 for the right to sit there. This is so backwards. What this says to me is. If the plane goes down, it doesn't matter we're all dead, so we might as well get a couple extra hundred bucks out of these poor saps. How do we protest this? How do we say, FUCK YOU Northwest. You suck. You can't, it's impossible. The airlines have America by the balls. There's nothing you or I can do about it. Try protesting Northwest. You can't. You'll need to take it at some point. Oh and this emergency row $15 thing, it doesn't stop there. Want to sit more towards the front of the plane? Pay up.

I hate airplanes. Northwest Airlines may be my least favorite company in America.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

So you don't see yourself on any pitches to airlines in the near future? Missed you in Milwaukee.

Did Lad pay the extra $15 as well?

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what's the deal with those airline peanuts!!??

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see your point, but I would offer another viewpoint for you to consider. Yes, NWA is a terrible airline for many reasons. I have a good friend who works for them and even he doesn't like it. First, you need to lower your expectations. If your plane leaves the ground and lands, that's all you should expect. Second, I agree with your problem with the $15 fee. I believe NWA is reconsidering this ridiculous fee.
I flew NWA all the way to Beijing and because of my low expectations, I was fine. yes, I did get better service on Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand on the way home. How about trying another airline next time?

9:56 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

Joe Fico your infinite wisdom is appreciated. I too have noticed that foreign airliners are much better. Why can't we as Americans expect the same great service? Bottom line the more money you pay for something the higher your expectations are. That's probably not the most logical way of thinking, but regardless that's how things work.

Steve, I didn't pay the 15 bucks. I sat in the normal seat. At least I had the aisle.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

jon, jon, jon, you're missing the point where you can stick it to the airline man.
by buying a [big] small plane and teaching yourself to drive it through the sky.
save your $15 and buy yourself three gallons of av-gas!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home