Monday, March 13, 2006

Has HBO done it again?

Recently I've made a new pact with myself. As long as I have HBO, I'm giving any new series they debut a chance. HBO's track record is impeccable. Simply put, everything they do, I love. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, Curbed Your Enthuiasm, Mr. Show, Tenacious D, Ali G, ARLI$$, and now Big Love.

Like everyone I tuned in last night for Tony, Carmila, and the rest of the Sopranos crew. But after my short stay in Jersey, I was whisked away to the demented shores of the Great Salt Lake. There I was introduced to the first show, besides the Osmond's, that dealt with Mormon's. Already, I'm hooked.

I have a hard enough time keeping one woman happy. This guy has gotta take care of three. And it looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass. Oh yeah, they all live in one house kind of. It's like three houses with one back yard. Every few days they have one huge family meal together. It's crazy. And creepy too.

Mormon's, I don't know anything about them. Well I did read Under the Banner of Heaven, by John Krakeaur, good book, but some what of a one sided account of the religion. Sure it was founded by a circus magician, John Smith. And yes he got some tablets given to him by god. Of course only he could read them only with his magic glasses that no one else could have. Once these tablets were transcribed they were buried never to be found again. So I bet you're judging these Mormon's now? Well I'd hold off. Cause let me tell you a little story about Moses. He spoke to a burning bush, and then parted a sea. Religion is full of stories. Do you believe them all word for word?

Back to Big Love. The show explores two sides of Mormon's. 'Normal' polygimist households, and then the compounds that get real strange. This show is also going to take us on ride about Mormon business. I think the church provides money for businessman. So this should be interesting as the conflict is set between the Paxton character and the father character.

Big Love, give it a try.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh...I don't care for this show. It seems like an idea that looks good on paper, but as you start blowing it out, it's like, "Ok, we get it. He has three wives that he has sex with and that causes problems."

Plus in two 20 minute blocks of the show I've become way too familiar with Paxton's ass. Seriously, that must be in his contract: "Paxton's ass must be shown no fewer than 4 times an episode, with an option to randomly show part of his ball as he spread eagles across the bed."

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett Favre

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home