Thursday, January 19, 2006

Born From What?


I'm wondering if other people have noticed the most retarded ad campaign running these days? The campaing belongs to Saab. Perhaps the strangest car out there. They seem nice, but I don't know anyone who owns one. Anyways Saab is hanging there automotive integrity on the campaign tag: BORN FROM JETS. First a couple thoughts that seem basic. Jets fly. Cars don't. Why does Saab feel this is so great? If a Saab deployed wings and flew all over the place then yes Born From Jets would be appropiate. Also Saabs would suddenly kick ass. Everyone would have a Saab if it flew. The flying thing is an odd comparison. Next the word 'Born'. Huh? So a jet popped a Saab out of it's fuselage. It just makes for a strange visual.

Saab is manufactored in Sweden. So with that logic these are Swedish jest. And in the commercial it appears that they are military jets. Ohhh scary. Swedish military jets scare me about as much as Swedish meatballs. What a misguided campaign this is. If someone buys a Saab because it was born from a jet I'd like to meet them and immediately slap them.

When you look at the family tree of Jets it goes Jets, planes, wright brothers, bikes. So really it should be Saab Born from Bicycles.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

You're right. I saw it and thought, my lord what another fine example of ad firms wasting client money.

I would like to see the timeline of the campaign from idea to execution. Who bought off on this thing?

12:43 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

My guess is this was a client driven campaign. I mean what creative ad firm would do this campaign? The client was probably like, "Saab built jets, then we built cars. How bout Born from Jets." The the ad agency had to fill in the wholes. It's the client wasting there own money. They had to buy this garbage.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Well, the name is the root for the aircraft company (http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/).

The bigger problem is that they're trapped in the quagmire that is GM -- about as inovative as the major airlines when it comes to advertising and brand identity.

I can't wait for my Boeing SUV or Airbus sports sedan.

2:43 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

Have you seen the Ford ad where Bill Ford mentions that Ford is using Volvo to help make Ford's Volvo safe. I mean isn't this a sin when it comes to mass communication.

You hear stuff like that and you're just like these companies are too damn big. I like Volvo's but I don't really want one now that it's owned by Ford.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Lord of the Barnyard said...

Huh. I really like 'born from jets.' Saab, like BMW, is a car company built on technology created for flying. And that is endlessly cool.
One word: "Wankel."

11:41 AM  
Blogger laughjon said...

Barnyard, they were founded on technology for flying back in the infancy of flight. It's not cool, nor is it relevant.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home