Monday, January 23, 2006

The gayest movie of the year.

Yep that's right. I saw Brokeback Mountain. That must mean I'm Gay. Or maybe I'm just really sensitive. Maybe my Showtunes compilation CD had a scratch. Maybe I loaned out all my Liza Minelli films. Maybe my feather boa is at the dry cleaner. You get the picture. Brokeback Mountain is about two gay cowboys. One cowboy accepts his gayness. The other denies his gayness. From there the story goes.

I referenced this movie in a previous post. Gay people would tell you to see it then when you would say 'no man' they'd lecture you about having an open mind. So I'm a hypocrite. Oops. Moving forward. I saw the movie, and I liked it. Although there are points where honestly I couldn't relate. Regardless I got through those moments.

Most people probably aren't going to see this because they just chalk it up to I'm not gay. My recommendation would be to get over it. What I really liked about this movie is it's a story. It just puts everything out there. Also, no ulterior motives. So many times you see a movie and the people who made it think this message will change things. And with this movie it would have been easy to do that, but they didn't. It just delivers a great story. About one Cowboy who likes another Cowboy. I guess it's just so real. Isn't that the ultimate compliment to a filmmaker? Realness.

Ang Lee is successful in making one of the most beautiful Westerns I've ever seen. And yes it's a Western. The landscape is just amazing. He does so much with so little. My guess is this movie will clean up the Oscars. It's such an original movie. No movie has ever been made quite like it. The directing is amazing and so are the performances. Heath Ledger is really great. Perhaps better than Phil Hoffman in Capote. Which gets to another interesting topic. Is it better acting to give life to an original character, or to portray an existing person in history? But that is for another blog.

Sometimes getting over preconceived notions, thoughts, whatever is hard. If you want to see a good movie I suggest going to see Brokeback Mountain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

I saw it Friday. Great cinematography. Made me want to wear a super hard to get off belt, not eat beans, and drink a budweiser.

"I'm not paying you to let the dogs babysit the sheep while you stem the rose." Between that line by Randy Quad and Jake's mustachio I was sold. Good movie!

> side note I watched The Brothers Grimm last night w/ Heath Ledger; not so good.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Marty + Doc Brown sitting in at tree ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfODSPIYwpQ

Or Top Gun?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2643835654848098127

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home