Thursday, July 06, 2006

What is Organic?

This is where I strike a nerve with Farmer Drew. But I'm so sick and tired of looking every which way and seeing organic this, organic that. It's become so confusing I need to ask, what is organic? Sure, sure it's the growing and cultivating of foods without the use of pesticides. I get that. But what I don't understand is how food giants such as Frito-Lay can now claim they have an organic corn chip. Doesn't the whole idea of organic sabotage any organic claim Frito-Lay can make?

Like so many words with good intentions, Organic has fallen victim to one of the greatest menacing forces in America. Marketing. Whole Food, Trader Joe's, and local Co-ops have turned the word organic into a unique selling proposition and ran with it. The fact of the matter is who is policing this? Who makes sure something is organic? Even on Wikipedia's entry for Organic certification it clearly states the term is used to market the product of organic.

I'm not ripping on organic foods. I love them. Trader Joe's is one of my favorite stores, but that's simply because they manage to deliver this so called organic product at prices I can easily stomach. Go into any Whole Foods, and you'll be paying an arm and a leg for something that you could probably find in isle 5 of your local Piggly Wiggly.

Hopefully in the future the word organic will actually mean something. Rather than a buzz word to get soccer moms to shop at Whole Foods so little Bobby can grow up big and strong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Norem said...

They must be using organic corn in the Frito Lay products.

I don't know the in's and out's of organic laws, but I basically look at an organic label as verification that the product is grown the way you probably think it should be. When you were a kid...how did you think tomatoes were grown? You plant them in the ground, give them lots of water and light...and presto...tomatoes. You didn't know about growth hormones and pesticides and genetic engineering. That's basically organic. It's the way things used to be. Not that it doesn't have its problems as well.

I read a good quote the other day. This guy said he eats butter over margarine, because he trusts cows more than he does scientists. I think that kind of sums it up.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home