Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Feeling a little empty in New Yorke


I burned the new Thom Yorke CD yesterday. The first CD from the lead singer of the greatest band on planet earth; Radiohead. Upon first impressions I'm gonna go ahead and give it the old Ehh. Allow me to break down the varying level of Eh.

Eh--It's alright.
Ehh--It's alright, probably could've been more.
Ehhh--No so alright.
Ehhhh--Definitely not so alright.

Eraser--Ehh. It's alright. I like it. I don't hate it, but after listening too it, I just got mad. Mad cause I want a Radiohead album, not a Thom Yorke album. Eraser is in the valley, while Radiohead is in the mountains. Eraser is flat, Radiohead is complex and challenging. Thom Yorke definitely needs his bandmates to really push the limits of the human mind.

Just for fun I listened to Kid A right after the Eraser. Not even close. So while I recommend the new Yorke for a listen or two, I'm really just disappointed it's been almost three years since a new Radiohead album has hit my ears.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you bought it I'd bet you'd get more into it. I say this with my only experience with the album being the last song in "Scanner Darkly."

I'm mostly going off of a mentality that Todd has mentioned which i tend to agree with. When you burn something, your commitment is "ehh." But once you buy it, you're invested in it. From there, your feelings will probably grow, for better or worse, stronger.

Also, feel free to disregard all of this, as my most experience with Radiohead is "Ok Computer" a handful of times.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Who's writing these posts? Hey I think I found a great photo for you to use in your profile.

http://www.kartelle.com/actors/sesamestreet/OscartheGrouch/OscartheGrouch.html

The newest Stones album is pretty good. But compare that to Exile, etc and it's as you groan, "eh."

12:12 PM  
Blogger Todd Norem said...

It's a grower. And it grows by leaps and bounds in the night-time. Not a very sunny record. I hated it the first time I heard it, but have come to really appreciate it.

I'd give it an eh+

2:14 PM  
Blogger laughjon said...

It's like listening to Pink Floyd after Roger Waters left. A couple good songs, but it's missing something. That kick in the nuts. I think I was pretty clear about that.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nehru committeeiif mated gwent hearted inertia help recycled mirza lens lhkh
lolikneri havaqatsu

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home